Having a primary care provider (PCP) you trust is one of the most important things you can do for your health and well-being. PHPprime primary care providers get to know you as a person — not just your body. This includes your general health, medical conditions, and personal and family medical history. You’ll build a relationship and be able to talk about anything that is bothering you physically and emotionally.
Your PHPprime PCP is your go-to person for most non-emergent medical needs. Your PCP is here to:
- Provide preventive care including checkups, screenings and immunizations
- Coach you on making healthy lifestyle choices
- Develop a plan to help you manage chronic health conditions
- Consult about urgent medical issues and direct you to the best place for care
- Coordinate your care and refer you to physical or behavioral health specialists, if needed
People who have a primary care provider:
- Do better with managing chronic conditions
- Spend less time in the hospital
- Spend less time away from work
- Are more satisfied with their care
Yes. Your PCP may be a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant. Primary care usually includes these specialty areas:
- Family Practitioner: Provides care for patients of all ages, often for everyone in a family. Their services may include obstetrics and minor surgery.
- Geriatrician: Provides care for older adults, often with complex medical needs related to aging.
- Pediatrician: Provides care for newborns, infants, children and teenagers.
- Internist: Provides care for adults of all ages for a wide range of medical needs.
- Obstetrician/Gynecologist: Provides care for women, especially those of childbearing age.
PHPprime primary care practices offer appointments the same or next day if you need care right away but do not have a medical emergency. Providers are also on call after hours to answer your questions and direct you to the right place for treatment.
Learn more about your options for urgent medical or mental health concerns.